Shining threads

Shining threads

Wednesday 29 December 2010

London synthetic orchestra

The London Synthetic Orchestra play plastic instruments to an audience of showroom dummies.

The conductor trained as an engineer - and co-ordinates the collective with the precision of a laboratory scientist, measuring dust.

Not since play-school, have I seen so many brightly-coloured trumpets and keyboards and drums.

This is the sound of 'The Future' - a future where plastic-men rule the world.

Space-travelers bend backwards in time - to revisit their childhood sense of fun - where music was chaotic and cacophonous, and parents heaped praise on any old drivel.

'It's all a matter of perspective' - the men who have regressed to their second childhood remind me.

Yeah, right. I think. It just so happens that my perspective trumps yours - but I'll let you have your fun. Just don't think I'm going to start a subscription to this particular channel.

The batteries are running out on the players of the London Synthetic Orchestra and the drummer pathetically bangs his drum slower and slower until he freezes in mid-beat.

A plastic horn starts to melt, under the glaring neon light.

It's time for me to go. I can hear violas calling. And these ones are hand-made. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment